Sunday 12 December 2010

Bright Young Things

After reading only one of his books, A Handful of Dust, I think I can declare Evelyn Waugh is currently one of my favourite authors. Of course, it does help that I have a soft spot for 1920's-1930's everything, but Mr Waugh writes in a manner that appeals to me very much: it is impossible, or very difficult, to feel any sympathy towards his characters. The air of shallowness most of his characters present is what makes his style, in a way: the story is narrated in a very serious manner, but the ridiculous of the characters' futile personalities and egoist actions overcome anything the narration could counter.

Last night, when I came upon the movie Bright Young Things, based on his book Vile Bodies, I was sold: it was beautiful, well-acted, witty and... ridiculous. Oh, and now I really want to watch it again!

***

Après avoir lu un seul de ses romans, A Handful of Dust, je crois pouvoir déclarer qu'Evelyn Waugh est l'un de mes auteurs préférés en ce moment. Bien sûr, ça aide que j'aie un faible pour tout ce qui est années 1920-1930, mais Mr Waugh écrit d'un façon qui me plaît beaucoup; il est très difficile, sinon impossible, d'éprouver de la sympathie pour ses personnages. L'air de frivolité que la plupart de ses personnages présentent est ce qui fait son style, d'une certaine façon: l'histoire est narrée très sérieusement, mais le ridicule de la personnalité futile des personnages et de leurs actions égoïstes défait tout ce qui pourrait être contré par la narration.

Hier soir, quand je me suis par hasard retrouvée devant le film Bright Young Things, inspiré de son roman Vile Bodies, j'ai été vendue tout de suite: c'était magnifique, bien joué, intelligent et... ridicule. On n'appelle pas cette époque "les années folles" pour rien! Oh, et maintenant je veux vraiment le regarder à nouveau!

3 comments:

  1. If you love Waugh, you should try Mitford. They were pals and it shows. His collected letters are also a fanatastic read, full of diatribes against Coca-Cola and other delights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh will watch this tonight! merci!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Jane: Laisse-moi savoir ce que tu en penses! Moi, dès qu'il y a du big band et des costumes à paillettes, ça gagne déjà dix points et ma critique prend le bord haha!

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do my best to respond to all comments in a timely manner, and although I sometimes may be slow, you can be sure they will all be answered by the time a new post has been published.