Saturday 26 March 2011

If you can't find it, make it!

Last week, I received a beautiful pair of vintage Dingo boots I found on etsy, and immediately 'created' some spare time to work on the little project I had planned for them which I thought I'd share with you. I had wanted a nice, comfortable pair of ankle boots with a little heel for some time: a few years ago, I had gotten my dream pair of black ankle cowboy boots only to realise the left one was too tight (thank you years of dancing ballet...), and impossible to save no matter what my cobbler did. I thus decided to take the matter in my own hands after years of unfruitful search.
They arrived like this:

Photobucket

And I made them look like this:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I gasped when I cut all that fringe off, but I don't think I could have pulled it off on a daily basis (I kept it, I might make a removable insert like this). I dyed them with olive oil, and asked my favourite cobbler to hem them. VoilĂ ! The leg openings are a little wider than I expected, so I'm currently trying to think of the best way to taper them; I'll post more photos when I'll have that figured out.

What about you, have you ever ended up taking the matter into your own hands when it comes to clothing/accessories? I would very much like to hear your stories!

7 comments:

  1. refurbishing old clothes is how I learnt to sew! But man, takling boots is a bold move, they look great though! Totally impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really tempted to try this ever since I saw it on Love Aesthetics:

    http://love-aesthetics.blogspot.com/2011/03/diy-flat-ankle-boots.html

    I'm sure I'd mess it up though...maybe if I could find cheap enough boots to try it on I'd give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never bought something specifically to midify it, but every now and then I end up not liking something I've bought so much and give it a little change and it looks much better!
    Hey you could sew the fringe onto a tshirt, that would be really cool. In fact I have been looking for leather fringe to make something like that but I have no idea where to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You clever girl, I think they look great !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessicat & Mandy: Thank you!
    Ringo: I had been thinking about making some kind of fringe insert since you posted about those All Saints boots! I think you should give it a try, I know someone who's cut cowboy boots into shoes and it worked very well, good luck!
    Nana: Maybe you could cut some second-hand leather garment into fringe? Good luck with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. camille! you rock!!!!
    yes...i have thought of something similiar to do with a pair of boots i got in italy a thousand years ago (i need to change the heel and i know the cobbler will say: no it's impossible...) but i too have that rebel spirit like you...so...
    the boots look great...;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If Jane: Thank you :)! You should still ask, you never know what a good cobbler can accept to do! Maybe if you find an ugly pair of boots with a nice heel you could do some kind of a switch...?

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do my best to respond to all comments in a timely manner, and although I sometimes may be slow, you can be sure they will all be answered by the time a new post has been published.