Sunday 29 May 2011

Literary Style

My poor old laptop broke last week, but fortunately for me, my boyfriend kindly installed internet on his "writing computer" -a giant machine of yesteryear- which revealed to be much faster than my tired portable. It's not so bad since I now spoil less time online (its setting is not the most comfortable), and I haven't lost much in the wreck thanks to my last minute file transfer; also, as you will notice, I can now access Polyvore without problems.

So, to get to the point, today's long overdue installment of Literary Style is on Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. It was one of the first books I had in mind when I started the (still short/slowly expanding) series but I couldn't remember whether it featured actual descriptions of dress or if I had been picturing Brett to be quite stylish; it made me very happy to realize it was actually suitable for this column when Lin suggested it.
The Sun Also Rises
via UBOParentheses

"Brett was damned good-looking. She wore a slipover jersey sweater and a tweed skirt, and her hair was brushed back like a boy's. She started all that. She was built with curves like the hull of a racing yacht, and you missed none of it with that wool jersey." (22)
"He was standing with Brett, who was sitting on a high stool, her legs crossed. She had no stockings on. [...] Brett gestured at him from the bar with her cigarette-holder and wrinkled the corners of her eyes." (78)
"'You are a lovely lady, Brett. Where did you get that hat?' 'Chap bought it for me. Don't you like it?' [...] Brett pulled the felt hat down far over one eye and smiled out from under it." (79)

4 comments:

  1. camille...you are truly cool all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to this series of posts by you, and glad I could contribute in a small way :) I can totally see Brett in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic! love your recreation! xo bb

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Jane: You're making me blush!
    Lin: It makes me happy you look forward to them as I thoroughly enjoy making them. I should be making them more frequently now that I can access Polyvore!
    BB: Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do my best to respond to all comments in a timely manner, and although I sometimes may be slow, you can be sure they will all be answered by the time a new post has been published.