Wednesday 16 January 2013

Shift dress project completed!

Favourite clothing items, mid-january 2013


Favourite clothing items, mid-january 2013
I also wanted to tell you about the shoes in this photo, but this post is getting quite long and shoe-heavy, so I'll keep that for another time.
Also: messy bedroom, oh well.
Favourite clothing items, mid-january 2013
Still unable to smile, but you probably wouldn't have smiled either if you had seen the state of my half-homemade tripod.
Favourite clothing items, mid-january 2013
"I should probably sit on that chair and look less ridiculous, but it wouldn't allow me to show off my dress/shoes/whatever properly."
Favourite clothing items, mid-january 2013
I finally finished sewing my first dress, the one I told you about here, and I couldn't be happier. The fit and cut are exactly what I was going for, actually perhaps even better. That type of mid-60s shift dresses is one of my favourites, but most of the ones I find are usually either too tight around the hips or too wide at the shoulders, so I'm glad to have managed to make a dress that not only applies to my aesthetic requirements, but that also fits well while being comfortable. The lighting in my house is not too good at the moment, but I just couldn't wait to show you my new dress. Yes, I'm just a bit too proud.

About a year and a half ago, Jessica was kind enough to send me a simple shift dress pattern. When I finally got around sewing the dress and setting up my sewing machine properly, one move later, I simply (stupidly) couldn't find it anywhere. I fortunately found a pattern (Butterick B5415) for a similar dress while visiting my hometown, and got to work as soon as I got back home. I pulled out some extra supplies from my storage trunk only to find... Jessica's pattern I had been looking for. So I ended up following a bit of both, cutting from the Butterick, and adjusting it (longer, slimmer sleeves, shorter length). Next time, I don't think I'll bother putting a zipper on it though.

I wore the above outfit on Monday, and it includes some of my favourite items as of late. Thick bamboo tights from American Apparel, a 1960s mohair cardigan/jacket from Local23 (I had been looking for one for quite a while), my new dress, my mother's old belt (which I wear almost daily), and probably one of my favourite thrift shop finds EVER, the green loafers (only worn inside for now, mind you, it's too cold out to wear anything else than boots).

Actually, I really need to tell you about those Moreschi olive green loafers.I found them at my favourite thrift shop which, in spite of all the great items it always contains, is usually not so good when it comes to shoes. I was a bit disappointed to see they were a size 5 1/2, but I decided to take them for the shop anyway, as they were too good to pass up. But then, they looked a tad bigger than a 5 1/2, so I tried them on: they fit perfectly and very comfortably my size 7 feet! They were simply very small men's shoes! They were priced at 20$ (not a thrift shop price at all, but you know how some charity shops have certain new items at higher prices?), and I thought it was still worth it: they were unworn, had a not-even-tried-on leather outsole, one of them was ever so slightly faded, but it was barely noticeable. Upon inspecting them further, I found the original price tag: 390$. And when I got to the cash register, I had this little exchange with the cashier:

Her: "Do they fit?"
Me: "Yes!!!"
Her: "Well, as long as you don't try and return them."
Me: "I won't!"
Her: "Ok, so they'll be 5 dollars."

As I said, best thrift shop find, ever.

I think that was my best charity shop experience so far, and that's a lot to say as my experience is quite extensive. If you don't mind my further bragging, I might show you other items I found in another post.

7 comments:

  1. Hi, I've not commented before but I just noticed the Moreschi loafers and wondering where you'd got them from as I'd been looking for something similar and then you said they were a thrift shop find! And the best bargain ever. Well done. Your dress is lovely and fits you perfectly - the perks of making a dress! I've only done it once and that was a very simple shift dress - no sleeves and no zip - it really was that simple. Looking forward to a post on the lace up shoes too -they look lovely and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice meeting you Sue, and thank you! I'm sure you'll find a pair of your own--ebay and etsy are usually pretty good for that :)

      Delete
  2. oh bravo the shift looks great! and fancy seeing you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah for finishing the dress! I never put zips in mine, it's so easy to make it without one and I always fnd the head hole to be the perfect size anyway!
    And holy cow! Amazing shoe thrift store story! I'm not aloud in thrift shops at the moment because of the big move thats looming (3 weeks to go! ah!), I've wittled my wardrobe down to a mere shadow of it's former self. Which is refreshing. And I'm looking forward to buying some new things in Korea! They have so many of the small american/canadian/english designers that I can't get my fingers on in New Zealand. I'm so so so excited. Plus, hopefully I can get a sewing machine there anyway.
    Anyway, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know what you mean, I'm always divided between wanting my wardrobe to be like a dress-up trunk, and owning the bare minimum. I'm looking forward to following your travel stories, I really enjoyed your past series and photos!

      Delete
  4. I never seem to have such luck in charity shops, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look lovely in that dress, congrats on finishing your first one!! that pattern looks great, I might buy it for myself. and yay for thrift stores that don't rip you off, you got a deal without even asking!

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do my best to respond to all comments in a timely manner, and although I sometimes may be slow, you can be sure they will all be answered by the time a new post has been published.